At Cottonwood, by going green, we can reduce and reuse, improve efficiency, keep residents engaged, comply with regulations and do right by the planet. We take pride in keeping our property beautiful while also helping the environment.
In the Office
Staff in both administrative and maintenance practice sustainability by:
- Recycling ink cartridges
- Providing reusable coffee cups
- Providing a battery recycle container for residents
- Offer an electronic recycling bin
- Using washable mop heads
- Recycling light bulbs
- Providing a recycle station for residents and guest to learn about recycling
- Adding ways to use sustainability practices at home in the Resident newsletter each month
- Using 50% recycled paper and printing double sided when possible
- Installed .8 GPF toilet in the cabana
- Windows and surfaces cleaned with microfiber cloths
On the Grounds
Cottonwood has a laundry facility with energy efficient washers and dryers. There is a clothing donation bin where used clothes have a new purpose. We are also upgrading our exterior lighting to LED. In addition, we provide recycling bins next to every garbage bin.
Monthly Resident Event Education
- Inform residents on how to use the compost bins and offer bins for use in their homes
- Educate residents on recycling, composting, and waste reduction. Set out three large bins, recycle, compost, and landfill.
- In April we have an Earth Day Event to encourage residents to encourage gardening
- In August we have a community yard sale where used items can find a new home
- Explain sustainability practices related to energy conservation, water-efficiency, stormwater and wastewater pollution prevention, recycling and composting, and reducing hazardous waste.
In the Apartment Homes
Cottonwood is replacing all toilets with a .8 GPF. We take advantage of PSE’s business incentive programs. PSE has come through and replaced all bathroom vanity bulbs in every unit, added a water saving device to the showerheads, replaced a handful of refrigerators that were older to a Frigidaire refrigerator and changed all the bulbs above every stove in every unit. Upon move in we offer residents a free compost container and recycle bin to get their sustainability practices started.
Questions on what goes in where when it comes to recycle/compost/garbage?
What can be recycled?
What should I put in the garbage?
What should I compost?
Have more questions? Visit: